Friday, June 22, 2012

Baptisms

Tomorrow is a special day for our church - Baptism Sunday  Saturday!  Every year, the congregation heads up to a camp called Aguas Vivas (Living Waters) to have an outdoor baptism celebration.  Last year, several members of the youth group were baptized, and this year there are several as well, though they are from our sister church (with which La Elipa just merged), so we don't know them too well yet.

Aguas Vivas is a special place for Ben and me because during our vision trip to Spain in 2008, we were counselors for the annual week-long kids' camp there.  It was by far the best week of that summer.  It is incredible to me when I think about Ben not speaking any Spanish, and how much he still engaged with the kids that week.  Baptisms are also really special to Ben and me.  We usually attended the baptism services at Blackhawk (our church while in college and raising support), even if we didn't know anyone.  It's a really moving experience to listen as people publicly devote their lives to Christ.  I always get teary, in a good way.

Ben went up to Aguas Vivas today to help set up the portable pool for the event.  I will follow tomorrow with Andy.  I'm so happy that our teammates/bosses/friends the Gudemans are back from a year in the US.  I get to ride to the camp with Sheryl.  It will be great to get out of the city, have a picnic, enjoy the scenery, and be a witness to lives being dedicated to the Lord.  The Lord is at work in Spain, completely apart from the small part that we are playing here.

No comments: