Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Omelet

I have been overcooking scrambled eggs for as long as I can remember.  I am always paranoid that they're undercooked, and despite enjoying an egg over-easy every once in a great while, undercooked scrambled eggs really freak me out.

The last full day of Mima (Ben's mom's) visit, however, I woke up and had the thought Today is a good omelet day.  Let me be clear.  I have never made a successful omelet before, so I have no idea what prompted this sudden assurance that I would be able to on Thursday.  But, it worked!

Okay - maybe I know.

A spatula that looks like a scimitar!

It's made by the brand Orca, but I couldn't find a picture of it online.  My mom bought if for me from the Wire Whisk in Appleton, a kitchen-gadgety store.  It's made of flexible plastic and is GREAT for flipping Swedish Pancakes and apparently really helpful when making omelets.

So, make sure there's enough butter or oil so that the eggs won't stick to the pan.

As the eggs heat, skim around the sides with the scimitar spatula.  This helps the omelet get ready to flip.

When the eggs start to bubble and almost all of the liquidy part of the eggs on the top is gone, remove pan from heat and shake it around a bit.  If you've greased the pan enough, the omelet should slide around.

Then...confidence, Atreyu.  Flip it!

It's scary, I know!  Or, you could slide the omelet onto a plate and then flip the plate over onto the skillet.  Or try with the spatula.  But flipping it is fun (here I am flipping a Swedish pancake on New Year's Day...yes, in pajamas).

Once flipped, add ham or cheese or whatever to one side, then fold the other side over.  Ta-Da!  You're an omelet chef.


No comments: