Saturday, January 14, 2012

2 years of Parenthood

Two years already?  I (Meggan) was showing my friend, Candela, the Shutterfly book of Andy's first year today as we were celebrating Andy's 2nd birthday.  I have definitely had my moments of missing baby Andy (though I still call him that), but the joys of Andy growing and learning really are very joyful. He occasionally hugs, he frequently kisses, he spells his name out loud, has his favorite little movies...  He also is obsessed with the metro and insists upon going there every time we leave the house, doesn't really like being put in his stroller when I have to go grocery shopping, and can flail like nobody's business when he's upset.  Parenthood is quite the roller-coaster.

As a wise friend told me, having small children simplifies your life.  I get Andy dressed, fed, cleaned up, and to bed day after day.  We go the grocery store, the park...everywhere together.  Sometimes it's monotony, sometimes it's wonderfully peaceful, sometimes it makes me stir-crazy.  I'm trying to learn to be content every day, trying to take better care of myself, trying to be more patient, trying to enjoy each moment with Andy without being overly sentimental.  I'm also trying to get Andy to stop hitting his head on things (including my face) when he's angry.  There's a lot of trying going on, even in the midst of a rather simple life.

Parenthood is life-changing.  There are days when I really miss being a student at UW and at Denver Seminary.  Almost every day I miss ballet classes in Littleton.  A lot of who I was seems very far away sometimes.  I know that living in another country has a lot to do with that, too.  What I know for sure, however, is that my life is much richer being a parent.  I am very grateful for the gift and challenge of having Andy.  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We know you are doing God's work Ben and Meggan. We pray for you multiple times a week.

Be encouraged. He works in ways that we can only often see when we look back. That perhaps is most obvious when we look back at the daily hum-drum chores that we all just need to get done.

We miss you

Love Jesse and Dorea

Lily of the Valley said...

Your reflections on changes after becoming a parent were refreshing to read.