Monday, June 6, 2011

Personal/emotional update

This is another post to go hand-in-hand with our monthly email update.

Thank you so much for your prayers for us to connect with people here. Days after sending out the email, I met two women with young children at a park nearby. We have also met an older couple from our apartment complex from Ecuador who keep track of their grandkids most of the time. We also got together with a couple our age from our church for the second time, and are building stronger relationships with our teammates.

As a student at UW-Madison, I often enjoyed the anonymity of a huge lecture. However, day after day, anonymity is lonely and wearing. As I walk with Andy every morning, I find myself wishing that I could just see someone that I know and knows me. I think this often leads to what I call “twin-spotting,” seeing someone here who really looks like someone from home.

Besides making the effort to really meet people at church, there is an internal effort that I find myself hesitant to make. Maybe it’s the “self-preservation” mode that I feel like I’ve been in for almost a year (preparing to come to Spain, actually moving, then getting settled), but I feel myself often hesitant or simply unable to really be myself here. While I know this is normal, it is still a barrier to forming relationships here. Thank you for your continuing prayers and support.

In the middle of August, we will head to Dublin for our first vacation! We are staying in a little apartment within walking distance of stores and public transportation. More to follow once we have some things planned.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

You are in my prayers Meggan! I can imagine that it would be very difficult to connect with others and feel "at home". I will continue to pray for dear friends and for encouragement!

Mike and Maggie said...

Your family is in our prayers. Thanks for the detailed updates.
I see you are vacationing in Dublin mid August. I hope you are home when we visit Madrid for a day so we can visit.
Please note Maggie and I are scheduled to arrive Madrid 7:15am, Thu, Aug 25, 2011 via United Flight 4963 operated by AerLingus, then we leave about 24 hrs later 7:30am, Fri, Aug 26, 2011 for Barcelona. Let us know if a visit is possible sometime on Thu, Aug 25...we'll be staying about 3 miles from your apartment at the Axor Feria Hotel Calle Campezo 4 Madrid near the airport. God bless, Mike

Anonymous said...

Praying for you everyday, Ben, Meggan, forgot Andrew, will start praying for him, too.

love,

Matthew

Engler Family Blog said...

Hi Ben and Meggan,
Your post reminded me of a time in my life after I quit work to stay home with Matthew and Eric. Matthew was just starting kindergarten and I knew no one because my network of friends were work-related. The stay-at-home world was a whole different group of people. That first year was lonely. Matthew's kindergarten teacher became my new best friend because she was the only person who talked to me on a regular basis. I can imagine that not having Andy in school and living in a big city can be very lonely. I wonder if you could join a mom and tot group or something similar? How 'bout swimming lessons? I met a lot of moms that way too.

I am thinking of you and know things will "break open" for you and Andy. Your smile and sincerity will lead the way!

Love, Aunt Pat

Ben said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Aunt Pat! Our newest friend is the lifeguard at the pool here in our apartment complex; nice guy, also named Andrés (which is what we call Andy here). We're hoping the pool will help us open up some new friendships here in our complex, and we're trying to invite folks into our home from time to time. Enjoying Matthew's pictures from Peru!
Ben