Friday, October 22, 2010

Homemade Masala Chai Latte

Drug of the day...

Masala = spiced; chai = tea; latte = milk. I'm mixing my languages, but you'll have to deal with it.

Using what I had at my disposal in Mom's kitchen, I now know that spiced chai concentrate will never satisfy again. Thank you, Dushanbe Tea House of Boulder, for awakening a holy discontent within me for all prepackaged substitutes. Most recipes call for cardamom, but we didn't have any, so I made it work w/o it. All measurements are approximate.

Cinnamon stick
Nutmeg (I used a few shakes of the ground stuff)
Allspice (just a shake)
Ginger root (4-5 slices)
Whole black peppercorns (1-2 tsps)
Cloves (1 tsp)

Add spices to one cup boiling water on the stovetop; let simmer ~6 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp loose Earl Grey tea (I'm kind of impressed by mom's tea selection here; I'm sure any black tea would work fine), brew another ~6 minutes. Strain the brew, or pour the liquid off (easier than I thought it would be). Rinse out your pot, put the liquid back in there, and add one cup of your preferred milk. For sweetener, I added about a tablespoon of Mom's vanilla syrup. I'm sure sugar would do the trick just as well, plus some vanilla extract if you so choose. Heat to desired temperature and enjoy.

I'm thinking this could easily become a party beverage. It would not be difficult to multiply this recipe for a gathering. As an added bonus, my sore throat feels a little better. Placebo effect? You be the judge.

No comments: