Friday, July 18, 2008

Not Much News, but Clowns and Jellyfish

Monday night was the big performance of Wet Side Story. It was a long day keeping the children from 8:30am until 6:30pm (when they started getting ready), but it all worked out in the end.

Tuesday, we took the children to an Aquarium. Though Aquarium is a bit of a strong word. There is a really nice Aquarium attached to the zoo here, but it was a little too expensive. So, instead, someone found a pet store that sells fish and gerbils and has two levels of exhibits in the basement. There were several very large snakes, including a yellow and white snake which I'd never seen before, little Australian squirrels that look sort of like tiny raccoons, a very sad looking armadillo, prairie dogs, a giant dinosaur-looking turtle, spiders, and several fish. Not bad for 2€ a kid. Then, we went to McDonalds and bought the kids ice cream cones. I'm not going to lie. It was pretty delicious. But, I've always been a sucker for soft-serve, or as the beautiful people of Vermont call it, Creamy.

We'd like to live in Vermont one day.

Ben and I have enjoyed several nice walks lately. It is really common for people to walk at night because the sun sets so late here. One night, Ben and I totally disagreed on how to get home. He was definitely right.

Yesterday, we walked about 3 miles to pick up tickets to Swan Lake in Madrid. Ben surprised me and is taking me to celebrate our 50th Month-iversary. What a guy!

Last night, we went to a park and a plaza, all dressed up to try and attract children to come to the camp next week. Currently we only have four children this session. So, it would be great if more kids came...but not too many as we have limited space and disciplinary skills. It was really fun though. Our friend, Dario, is a professional clown. So, he was the main part of the "show."

That's about it. Like the title says, not much news. We are enjoying ourselves, but we're anxious to go home, see friends and family, meet our new niece. When I think about living here, I know that I'll be able to do it. There will be some things that I'll love; others that I'll hate. For example, the peaches here continue to be amazing, but I really don't like croquetas (small, deep-fried nuggets of mashed meat and milk). I realize that's a really stupid example. Let me think of a better one. The people here are so loving, the city is filled with beautiful, green parks, the architecture (though we haven't seen a ton) is rich, and the coffee is delicious (back to food again, Meggan!). Not to mention that the Gudeman family is a huge draw for me to return here. I really enjoy talking with and hanging out with their kids, Mark, Angela, and Nicole. On the other hand, other things I don't like so much. Fashion is so important here - everyone is always dressed up. I'll miss the casual feel of the US. And obviously family will always be what I miss the most.

That said, I am grateful to God for the opportunity to return here if it is his will. This may be a country of hard soil for the gospel, but it is a wonderful place in many ways. So...join us!

Until next time,
-meggan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all,

I have enjoyed reading your posts. I hope we get to see you before we move to Seattle (Aug.11).

You have (and will continue to be) in our prayers.

Blessings,
Jada