Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dazed and Confused

Last night, Ben and I met with Héctor, director of the school of music and dance in Madrid that we once considered Aslan Center for the Performing Arts. As it turns out, the website is out of date, and the ministry once called Aslan does not actually exist. What it has been for the past year is a school of music and dance, owned and directed by Héctor and his wife, Lilli. Most of the faculty are non-believers. The ministry strategy is completely based on relationship building, or friendship evangelism. Nothing about the school is overtly Christian by any means.

Anyways, we met with Héctor last night (Lilli was teaching a class). We'd been anticipating this meeting for over a year. I, in particular, felt that I had a lot riding on this meeting. Seeing the website and their ministry (obviously at the time we didn't know that it was out of date) was really the first time that I said, "Yes, Lord, I will go." It seemed to be the perfect fit, even in light of the new information about their ministry focus (the school is what always interested me more than the performance troupe the old website spoke of).

However, Héctor told me last night that I need a degree in dance, preferably a major, perhaps a minor, to teach there. This is a legal requirement of Spain, he said. I told him that I didn't have a degree in dance. He said that I could be an assistant teacher and still help in other ways, but Ben and I still feel very... well... dazed and confused. Is this a door closing? I had asked that day for a big sign, telling God that I wanted to be on his path, not just a "good" path. Is this that sign? We do not know.

What I do know is that I feel at peace. Or perhaps shocked? I don't know what the future holds. God is in control. Please pray for wisdom and discernment. Please pray for me that I wouldn't believe things that the enemy would want me to believe, like that I've been fooling myself all this time, thinking I was good enough to teach dance. Or that I don't have a place in Spain at all, only Ben does. I'm struggling with questions like that right now. Are my degrees worthless?

Lord, I cling to your word. Isaiah 30:19-21
19 O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. 20 Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. 21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for y'all.

Auntie L said...

We just saw your blog for the first time today. Read through it backwards (date wise, that is). So sorry to hear about your disappointment with the dance school. When God closes a door, he always opens a window. We leave for the A-frame tomorrow. Taking Grandma and Grandpa with us. God Bless,
Aunt Lori

Anonymous said...

This will work out. We don't know what God has in mind, but we trust Him and we trust you and your network of Christians to help you discern! Love, MomK

Unknown said...

Hi Ben and Meggan,
My experience as been when God closes a door he/s always opens a window. Stay alert! Love ya, aunt Pat